Are you looking for a new job in the same industry? Or are you considering changing your career in tech? Either of the two, you’re in the right place to look for the list of the best tech jobs!
Early this month, Glassdoor ranked the current best jobs in the United States of America and the United Kingdom. These ranks are mixed with different jobs in different industries. Still, technical jobs almost owned the list.
Here’s the list of the current best tech jobs in the US with their number of job openings, median salaries, job description, and some of their responsibilities.
1) Enterprise Architect — Rank #1
Job Openings: 14,021
Median Base Salary: $144, 997
Job Description: An enterprise architect is in charge of the entire infrastructure of the company’s IT platform. They make sure that it meets the company’s needs.
- Hire, train, and assign responsibilities to the team
- Prepare proposals and estimates for the design and execution of IT systems.
- Use curative measures when the project plan is off course.
- Synchronize business needs with IT systems
- Monitor the work of the team during the project making
2) Full-Stack Developer — Rank #2
Job Openings: 11,252
Median Base Salary: $101,794
Job Description: A Full Stack Developer, or Full Stack Software Engineer, is a Computer Programmer who can operate on both front- and back-end systems. They create and write code for UI or user interface on websites and platforms for desktop, tablet, and mobile devices. They also develop databases and services for functionality.
- Handle and guide the analyzing, writing, building, and deployment of software
- Manage the whole end-to-end process of software and application development
- Supervise the automated testing and provide helpful feedback to management during the development process
- Modify changes to previously developed programs
- Test the software and application
3) Data Scientist — Rank #3
Job Openings: 10,071
Median Base Salary: $120,000
Job Description: A Data Scientist is responsible for handling data collection, storage, and interpretation for companies and their businesses. Data Scientists filter data points to create organized categories, compare them to current company processes, and write reports that include business predictions, proposals, or recommendations.
- Create and experiment frameworks for data collection
- Collect data through analyzing business results or setting up and managing new studies
- Identify valuable data from large data sets.
- Find actionable insights
- Create reports and presentations for business uses
4) DevOps Engineer — Rank #4
Job Openings: 8,548
Median Base Salary: $120,095
Job Description: A DevOps Engineer, or Development Operations Engineer, handles and improves the communication between the operational and developmental sides of the software development cycle.
- Guide teams in designing, building, testing, and deploying changes to existing software
- Maintain and improve the company’s cloud infrastructure
- Identify manual processes that can be automated.
- Consider the organization’s entire IT infrastructure before making changes and improvements.
- Build integrations to improve UX or user experience
5) Machine Learning Engineer — Rank #6
Job Openings: 6,801
Median Base Salary: $130,489
Job Description: Machine learning engineers develop self-running AI software to automate predictive models for recommended searches, virtual assistants, translation apps, chatbots, and driverless cars. They design machine learning systems, apply algorithms to generate accurate predictions, and resolve data set problems.
Machine Learning Engineers develop self-running software to automate predictive models for recommended searches, virtual assistants, chatbots, and driverless cars. They design systems and programs applying algorithms to generate accurate predictions and resolve data set errors and issues.
- Design machine learning systems
- Conduct machine learning tests and experiments
- Perform statistical analysis and fine-tuning based on test results
- Research and implement ML algorithms and tools
- Train and retrain systems when needed
6) Data Engineer — Rank #7
Job Openings: 11,821
Median Base Salary: $113,960
Job Description: A Data Engineer, or Data Systems Engineer, develops and maintains data processing software like databases. They work with company Executives and other professionals to build data infrastructure, run tests on their designs to isolate errors, and update systems to adjust to the company’s needs.
- Assist with data-related technical issues
- Build analytical tools to operate the data pipeline
- Provide actionable data insight into performance metrics
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements, which include re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, optimizing data delivery, and automating manual processes.
- Assemble big, complex sets of data that meet non-functional and functional business requirements
7) Software Engineer — Rank #8
Job Openings: 64,155
Median Base Salary: $116,638
Job Description: A Software Engineer, or Software Development Engineer, develops software programs, systems, or applications aligned with user needs. They meet with clients to strategize ideas, coordinate with other professionals to design software, run tests, and find and fix coding errors.
- Create diagrams, flowcharts, and models illustrating the type of code needed for programmers
- Design, test, and develop programs or software to meet user needs based on their analysis.
- Develop separate elements of a single software that worlds well in the program as a whole
- Recommend upgrades for existing systems and programs
- Ensure non-stop functionality of programs during maintenance and software testing
8) Java Developer — Rank #9
Job Openings: 10,201
Median Base Salary: $107,099
Job Description: A Java Developer, or Java Full Stack Developer, is a computer programmer and developer specializing in the Java programming language. They design Java applications and programs, test Java software, and apply fixes to any technical issues to various Java programs.
- Write well-written code that runs efficiently.
- Design and implement Java applications
- Test completed software and debug when necessary.
- Communicate with end-users to analyze their needs
- Analyzing code, requirements, system risks, and software reliability.
9) Back-end Engineer — Rank #11
Job Openings: 6,221
Median Base Salary: $112,384
Job Description: A Back End Engineer or Back Side Engineer curates the structure of server-side information. They write server scripts and APIs to be utilized by front-end engineers and UX designers.
- Generate code libraries that can be recycled
- Implement security systems
- Inspect server codes for speed optimization
- Maintain a stable server
- Keep backup library before large changes to the server
10) Cloud Engineer — Rank #12
Job Openings: 10,689
Median Base Salary: $118,999
Job Description: A Cloud Engineer handles the cloud infrastructure’s design, management, and maintenance. They follow the best practices and ensure the security of the network. Because of their multiple roles, they need to have a well-rounded knowledge of software development, scripting languages, and a background in designing web services in the cloud.
- Plan and design cloud computing applications and services
- Implement a disaster recovery plan and a business continuity plan to avoid loss of data
- Use programming languages like C++, Java, and Python to program code for the cloud system.
- Develop a support system to keep the cloud system secure and to interconnect all devices within a company.
- Assist with the development of cloud-based infrastructure
11) Information Security Engineer — Rank #15
Job Openings: 7,264
Median Base Salary: $116,919
Job Description: Information Security Engineer ensures that sensitive data is kept confidential. They make sure you have the right software and hardware in place.
- Supervise projects that guarantee the safety of critical information
- Analyze security systems and seek improvements
- Report possible threats and software errors and provide possible solutions
- Test company software, firmware, and firewalls
- Assists with cybersecurity, software, hardware, or IT needs
12) Salesforce Developer — Rank #18
Job Openings: 5,250
Median Base Salary: $98,972
Job Description: A SalesForce Developer is a programmer who creates functionality and solves problems in SalesForce software using different web languages, software programs, and technologies.
- Maintain websites and applications both for public and internal sites
- Work with Web Designers, Project Managers, Copywriters, Creative Directors, and others who assist in creating websites and their concepts.
- Implement web solutions and best practices
- Assist Project Managers in keeping development tasks on budget and schedule and with planning site redesigns and updates
- Edit websites and apps as needed
13) Automation Engineer — Rank #21
Job Openings: 6,717
Median Base Salary: $86,832
Job Description: Automation Engineers design, develop and test automated programs and systems to complete tasks.
- Design and implement automated systems for use in diverse manufacturing and production environments
- Conduct and lead collaborative meetings with leadership and key stakeholders to discuss the product updates, changes, and improvements
- Create detailed road maps to guide projects from conception to deployment
- Identify issues, write reports, and provide solutions or recommendations.
- Collaborate with Web Designers, Project Managers, Copywriters, Creative Directors, and others who assist in creating websites and their concepts.
14) Site Reliability Engineer — Rank #29
Job Openings: 3,516
Median Base Salary: $137,252
Job Description: Site Reliability Engineers drive more profound reliability to production systems but will likely help IT. They build and integrate software tools to improve organizational systems’ reliability, automation, and scalability. In simple words, they make sure the site is always reliable.
- Develop software that helps operations and support teams
- Fix escalation issues
- Optimizing on-call rotations and processes
- Documenting knowledge about the project for future reference
- Improve the site’s reliability and quality
15) Systems Engineer — Rank #30
Job Openings: 15,248
Median Base Salary: $15,248
Job Description: A Systems Engineer design, implement and maintain information technology systems for an organization. They design the basic computing infrastructure to accomplish significant tasks, establish networking rules for cybersecurity, and troubleshoot network errors or other technical issues.
- Coordinate with the Executive, Product, Data, and Design teams during the creation and maintenance of a system
- Create control features to make sure systems effectively meet the company’s standards
- Develop a cost-efficient system for projects by performing a cost-benefit analysis
- Engage in quality control to ensure the systems are operational and efficient.
- Ensure that the organization is operating at maximum efficiency, from manufacturing to distribution
Choose from The Top Choices
Deciding what job to start when you’re a career shifter or to change into if you’re already in the industry might take some or more time. You can take your time in choosing. Research well, keep learning new skills, and assess yourself very well. Choose from these top choices and pick the right job for you.